The holidays continue as 2018, a year that has seen Pine Bluff on the upswing, passes the baton to a very promising 2019 for the city. People have not wanted for community events and festivities, whether the long-time programs at the Arts and Science Center and Delta Rivers Nature Center, block parties and dining with Blues or jazz music, or new events such as Mistletoe Magic and the Bobby Rush Tribute.
The end of December and the grand opening of the new year do not disappoint, as they follow suit with oldies but goodies and the revival of a classic: the King Cotton Classic basketball tournament, that is. Also, new art exhibits open in January, and a youth theatre workshop will be held on the last Saturday. Then there are the Blues Jam sessions and children’s programs, all publicly available.
So check out the town’s happenings below. But first, as always, here’s the reminder to check with the hosting organizations about policies (e.g., age limits, costs, policies) and possible schedule changes.
King Cotton Classic
- Thursday, December 27, through Saturday, December 29, 2018
- Thursday’s first game starts at 4:30 p.m. Please see the King Cotton schedule for remaining times.
- Pine Bluff Convention Center Arena, 1 Convention Center Plaza in PB
- Click here for here for tickets to the tournament.
Port City Blues Society: Open Blues Jam
- Wednesday evenings. So the first one this month is on January 2, 2019!
- Jam or listen, join in any time from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Enjoy performers or be the local music scene by jamming with them!
- Hot Rods, 201 South Main in PB, 870-534-2066
Yoga for Kids at ASC
- Saturdays from 10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC), 701 South Main Street in PB (See more contact information below.)
- FREE activity
- Ages 7 and up (and adult chaperones). Dress comfortably. ASC yoga classes use Yoga for Kids, a 4-H Healthy Living Program by University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service.
Second Saturday Family Funday: Creative Construction Zone
- Saturday, January 12, 2019, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas, 701 South Main Street in PB
- FREE activity
- Family and adult chaperones welcome.
Art Exhibits to Open in January of 2019
The Arts and Science Center (ASC) for Southeast Arkansas will hold one reception and open two new exhibits this January. They are located at 701 South Main in PB (more contact information below).
- Era of Activism
Opens Saturday, January 12, and continues through Saturday, August 31, 2019
- 2019 Small Works on Paper
Reception on Saturday, January 12, 2019
Display of Do You Remember What I Worked For? By Markeith Woods of Pine Bluff
- Dustyn Bork: Complex Shapes and Empty Space
Opens Thursday, January 24, and continues through Saturday, April 13, 2019
The Stage Theatre Makerspace: Youth Workshop
- Last Saturday of the Month from January through April. So the first one coming up is January 26, 2019.
- Time slot is 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC), 701 South Main Street in PB
- For ages 13 through 17
- Workshop is free BUT registration is required. Call Lindsey Collins at 870-536-3375 or email email@example.com for more information.
Hosts and Locations of Events Listed Here
The Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas
The Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas hosts many educational programs and community events throughout the year. This is all while they run a top-notch art museum as well.
- Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC)
701 South Main Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
King Cotton Classic and GFPB
The King Cotton Classic basketball tournament, a comeback from past years, is now hosted by Go Forward Pine Bluff (GFPB). GFPB is a not-for-profit with a public-private partnership with the City of Pine Bluff. They have hosted community events like Mistletoe Magic and also have developed plans to help revitalize the city. Their committees have researched how urban renewal can meet the city’s needs and have been savvy enough to include expert advice, some from a well-known urban architect and others experienced in business start-ups and other revitalization matters.
- King Cotton Classic
See the King Cotton Classic website for more information on the tournament, including sponsorships.
See GFPB’s website to learn more about their urban renewal, business innovation, and other initiatives.
- Pine Bluff Convention Center Arena
1 Convention Center Plaza
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
The Port City Blues Society and Hot Rods
The Port City Blues Society promotes Blues music and the culture of Blues by supporting musicians and educating the public, among other things. Every Wednesday evening, they hold jam sessions with a variety of musicians participating.
- Port City Blues Society
- Hot Rods
201 South Main, Pine Bluff, AR 71601