Outdoor lovers and nature enthusiasts have several outdoor events to choose from this month. So check out the activities below: plant swap, marksmanship challenge, poker run, fishing tournament, hunter education, and even a quilting show with nature-themed quilts. There’s also training for teens for the written driving permit test; hey, one day they’ll drive outside (we hope!) or drive to fishing spots and marksmanship practice. Besides, the classes are next week, and people need to know.
Also be sure to check with the host organizations for more information (e.g., policies for participation and possible schedule changes).
Later on, those with additional interests might like to see PB Junction’s other posts that cover live music; art exhibits; and a variety of activities (genealogy, tinkerfest, and more) for adults, teens, and children. But for now, here are some outdoor activities, starting with the teen driving permit prep.
Table of Contents
Driver’s Permit Training
- Remaining dates: August 28, 29; September 3, 4, and 5 and then September 10, 11, and 12 (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays) from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Pine Bluff / Jefferson County Library, Main Library at 200 East 8th Avenue
- For teens aged 13 to 18: Mentoring and study sessions for the driving permit test. Each session will have study groups and a pre-test at the end of each session. Link to library event: https://pineblufflibrary.libcal.com/event/4491700
- Saturday, September 8, 2018 from 10:00 am to 11:30 a.m.
- AGFC Delta Rivers Nature Center, 1401 Blackdog Road in PB
- See their Facebook page events.
- Bring plants, house or garden, to trade or just trade ideas and knowledge.
Challenged Outdoorsman Annual Poker Run
- Saturday, September 15, 9:00 a.m. plus some
- 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.: Meet and register at the Fairfield Credit Union, 7010 Sheridan Road, White Hall
- Last bike out from the credit union at 10:00 a.m.
- Ends at the Tar Camp, 4600 River Road, Redfield. Lunch will be served.
- Held by Challenged Outdoorsmen of America (COA), Arkansas Chapter
- $20 per rider
- This ends at the location of COA’s fishing tournament that starts even earlier than the poker run!
- For more information, call COA officials Jenn at 870-550-8666 or Woody at 870-484-2434.
Challenged Outdoorsman Catfishing for a Cause
- Saturday, September 15, 2018, from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Tar Camp Park, 4600 River Road, Redfield, AR 72132
- Held by Challenged Outdoorsmen of America Arkansas Chapter
- $50 per team. Six poles max.
- Link to event posted on Facebook: Catfishing for a Cause
Marksmanship Challenge 2018
- Saturday, September 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Delta Rivers Nature Center, 1401 Blackdog Road in PB
- Grades 1 thru 12 divided into four grade groups
Hunter Education Course
- Saturday, September 22, 2018, from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Location: John Fallis Waterfront Meeting Facility on Beachfront Drive in Regional Park (hosted by Delta Rivers Nature Center)
- For Hunter Education certification. Registration required: https://register-ed.com
Information on Hosting Organizations
Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC)
Challenged Outdoorsmen of America (COA) Arkansas Chapter
Facebook: Challenged Outdoorsmen of America Arkansas Chapter