The Pine Bluff City Council will meet on Monday evening:
May 1, 2017, 5:30 pm
City Council Chambers / City Hall Civic Complex
200 E. 8th Street, Pine Bluff, AR 71601
Meeting Agenda. The meeting’s agenda lists two proposed ordinances to be read and several resolutions. The two proposed ordinances are summarized here:
- An ordinance to close a portion of Pryce Street between Dollarway Road and Womack Street and to close a portion of the 10 foot alley extending west of Pryce street — up for a second reading;
- An ordinance to waive competitive bidding for the razing and removal of a condemned structure at 620 Main Street due to an emergency — up for a first reading.
At Monday’s meeting, council members will also address several proposed resolutions, one authorizing two positions in the police department and several to appoint individuals to city commissions.
The Last Meeting (in a Nutshell). Of the ordinances addressed at the last city council meeting, one was read by the City Attorney the first time (listed above, for second reading); one was pulled by the sponsor; and the third was referred to committee.
- Pulled by the sponsor: an ordinance to amend Section 21-26 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, respecting the classification of personnel in the police department and authorizing the promotion of a lieutenant from the captain’s eligibility list to the rank of deputy chief;
- Referred to committee: an ordinance to amend Chapter 16 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, respecting nuisances and to add a new article IV concerning vacant buildings.
The last meeting also addressed several proposed resolutions which are only briefly summarized here:
- Referred to committee: a resolution to block, temporarily, a portion of Lee Street from West Short 3rd southward to West 5th Avenue in order to combat illegal dumping;
Other resolutions carried 8/0:
- A resolution of the Pine Bluff City Council to create a study group to consider renaming a street near UAPB in honor of L. C. Greenwood;
- Three resolutions to authorize the city’s Economic and Community Department to apply for grants from the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department for street and/or bus shelter improvements, along with city pledges of matching funds for these projects: University Drive Streetscape, Westside Student Bus Shelter, and the Main Street Streetscape;
- Several resolutions to appoint individuals to city commissions or to a study panel.
Acknowledgement: Thank you to Alderman Steven Mays for providing copies of the agenda and minutes that informed this announcement. However, any errors or omissions are those of the author.
Additional Information: Pine Bluff’s City Council meets on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month except for holidays, inclement weather, or other extenuating circumstances such as a called meeting.
The city’s website includes one webpage with contact information for the mayor and other elected officials in city hall, including the city clerk, and another for the departments run by those elected city hall officials. The website has a page for council members as well. Recently, the agenda for the most recent merting has appeared on this page.
The city clerk maintains records of ordinances and resolutions passed plus tapes and minutes of council meetings (and other board and commission proceedings). City council agendas can be found online for meetings as recent as March 20, 2017 (as of the time of this post). However, the most recent online city council minutes are those for the September 20, 2010, meeting. It should be noted that the city’s webpage has been undergoing a notable reorganization; perhaps more recent years’ minutes will appear when those changes are complete.
In the meantime, contact your alderman (council member) or contact the city clerk’s office for access to printed minutes in the office.