Enjoy local music this October: Sit back and take in a performance. Or become the music scene by joining in with a Blues jam! This October brings plenty of choices for music enthusiasts. Also, before heading to events, be sure to check with hosting organizations (information below) for possible changes to schedules or other details.
Here are event details known at the time of posting (September 30) plus updates on the Friday Night Blues Jam (updated October 1), and Live at Five (updated October 5):
Port City Blues Society: Open Blues Jam
- Wednesday evenings from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m., starting on October 3rd and continuing throughout the month
- Enjoy performers or be the local music scene by jamming with them!
- Hot Rods, 201 South Main in PB, 870-534-2066
Live at Five at ASC: Featuring the Brian Austin Band
- October 5, 2018, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Arts and Science Center, 701 South Main Street in PB
Live jazz, blues, and rock & roll 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. on the first Friday of each month
- Cost: $5 for members and $10 for nonmembers.
Open to guests 21 years of age or older
Friday Night Blues Jam: Featuring Detroit Johnny and the Delta Soul Children
- October 5, 2018
- GK Restaurant and Pub at the Pines Mall, 2901 Pines Mall Drive in PB,
- Doors open and music begins at 6:30 p.m. and continues until 11:00 p.m.
Musicians and Hosts of This Month’s Local Music
The Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas
The Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas hosts the “Live at Five!” music performance on the first Friday of each month at the end of the business day. They also occasionally hold music-related events for children during their Seond Saturday Funday and other children’s programs.
- Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC)
701 South Main Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
B.G. Whyte and Basement 37
Vocalist and composer B.G. Whyte and his band, Basement 37, are known for Christian music, stylistically similar to Soul, Rhythm and Blues, and Hip Hop. To sum them up, they perform much Christian Rap or Holy Hip Hop. B.G. Whyte and his band are based in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. (Update: A previous version of this post indicated B.G. Whyte would perform at ASC’s Live at Five; that event has been updated with new information about the band to perform on this date. We all hope to hear B.G. Whyte soon, though!)
Detroit Johnny and the Delta Soul Children
- This Delta Blues and Soul band has performed at many events over the years in the Pine Bluff area, regionally, and nationally; all have extensive recording experience. Band members have earned stellar reputations with the professional Blues community and fans alike. Some names may sound familiar for more than one reason, as several currently play in multiple bands.
- Band leader and guitarist Detroit Johnny literally grew up learning and then performing with Robert Nighthawk.
Friday Night Blues Jam
Friday Night Blues Jam is a program and event series that occurs the first Friday of each month at GK Restaurant and Pub at the Pines Mall. It runs from dinner time until late evening.
- Friday Night Blues Jam
- GK Restaurant and Pub 870-671-4145
2901 Pines Mall Drive, Pine Bluff, AR 71601
The Port City Blues Society and Hot Rods
The Port City Blues Society promotes Blues music and the culture of Blues by supporting musicians and educating the public, among other things. Every Wednesday evening, they hold jam sessions with a variety of musicians participating.
- Port City Blues Society
- Hot Rods
201 South Main, Pine Bluff, AR 71601