Live music performances are among the Pine Bluff happenings this September. The music will be performed by The Brian Austin Band; Detroit Johnny and the Delta Soul Children; the Dave Sadler Band; Soul Impressions; and the Highway 49 Band. Rumor has it that a couple of musicians will be performing at two overlapping events on the same day; another day has two back-to-back community-wide events with multile performers. It’s exciting! Check them out!
First, here’s the usual reminder to check with the host organizations for more information (e.g., policies and possible schedule changes). Also, please note that music performances may be updated; so watch this spot and social media. In the meantime, please link to other PB events: a post on art exhibits, a quilt show, and a photography contest; another on outdoor events; and one crafts, genealogy, and more!
Live Music Performances
Live at Five at ASC: Featuring the Brian Austin Band
- September 7, 2018, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Arts and Science Center, 701 South Main Street in PB
Live jazz, blues, and rock & roll 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. on the first Friday of each month
- Cost: $5 for members and $10 for nonmembers.
Open to guests 21 years of age or older
Friday Night Blues Jam: Featuring Detroit Johnny and the Delta Soul Children with Jim Turner and Dave Sadler
- Friday night September 7, 2018
- GK Restaurant and Pub at the Pines Mall, 2901 Pines Mall Drive in PB
- Doors open and music begins at 6:30 p.m. and continues until 11:00 p.m.
Port City Blues Society: Open Blues Jam
- Wednesday evenings from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Hot Rods, 201 South Main in PB
Pop Up in the Bluff 2018
- Saturday, September 29, 2018, 11:00 a.m.
- Second Street in downtown Pine Bluff
- Pop Up in the Bluff 2018 : One-day festival sponsored by Pine Bluff Downtown Development
- Performers include Dave Sadler, Katie Ferren, Darnell Cann Ward, Chris Cash, and a jazz quintet from Hot Springs. More Pop Up in The Bluff performers will be added once the information becomes available.
Block Party on Main Street / Theme “Stop the Violence”
- September 29, 2018
- Immediately following Pop Up in the Bluff
- Spearheaded and sponsored by William Jenkins
- Live music by Soul Impressions, the Highway 49 Blues Band, and the Brian Austin Band.
- The list of performers may be updated in the near future.
Musicians and Hosting Organizations
Music performances are always multi-organizational efforts. At the very least, they need a location that has room for the musicians and instruments plus the audience. They also need favorable acoustics, though this is more difficult to optimize (but can be helped) in outdoor settings.
Of course the talent that follows years of development deserves great accolades. And the hosting organizations should be lauded, too. They are key to making this happen, and their staff devote much time to advertising, setting up, and cleaning up.
Brian Austin Band
This band and its namesake leader are well known in Pine Bluff and beyond. At the initial time of this post, PB Junction had no link to a website or social media account for this group per se. In the meantime, check out the Port City Blues Society which is run by Brian Austin, George Scaife, and other music enthusiasts.
Dave Sadler Music
- Web: Dave Sadler Music
- Also performs with Jim Turner (PB Junction is lacking a direct link to Jim Turner at the intial posting of these events.)
Detroit Johnny and the Delta Soul Children
- This Delta Blues and Soul band has performed at many events over the years in the Pine Bluff area, regionally, and nationally; all have extensive recording experience. Band members have earned stellar reputations with the professional Blues community and fans alike. Some names may sound familiar for more than one reason, as several currently play in multiple bands.
- Band leader and guitarist Detroit Johnny literally grew up learning and then performing with Robert Nighthawk. Band members include guitarist Jim Turner who previously performed with Lou Rawls and Chuck Berry; bassist Roscoe Willis who previously performed with Bobby Brown; saxophonist Bucky Maynard, also a local businessman; drummer Harold Fooster, assistant band director with UAPB; and guitarist Dave Sadler, locally-based musician with extensive recording and performing experience.
Highway 49 Blues Band
- The Highway 49 Blues Band will perform at The Block Party on Main Street by William Jenkins.
- Band members’ names will be recognized by many: Lisa Rowland, lead vocals and percussion; Larry Don Pruitt, bass guitar; Luke Matheson, drums; Randy Rhodes, lead vocals and rhythm guitar; and George Scaife, vocals and guitar.
- Web: http://hwy49band.org
- This group will perform at The Block Party on Main Street by William Jenkins. More infornmation will be shared as it becomes available.
More information on Pop Up in The Bluff performers will be added once it becomes available: Katie Ferren, Darnell Cann Ward, Chris Cash — all imdividual performers — plus a jazz quintet from Hot Springs.
Hosting Organizations and Programs
The Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas
The Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas hosts the “Live at Five!” music performance on the first Friday of each month at the end of the business day. They also occasionally hold music-related events for children during their Seond Saturday Funday and other children’s programs.
- Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC)
701 South Main Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
Friday Night Blues Jam
Friday Night Blues Jam is a program and event series that occurs the first Friday of each month at GK Restaurant and Pub at the Pines Mall. It runs from dinner time until late evening.
- Friday Night Blues Jam
- GK Restaurant and Pub 870-671-4145
2901 Pines Mall Drive, Pine Bluff, AR 71601
Pop Up in the Bluff by Pine Bluff Downtown Development
Pop Up in the Bluff is a new annual event series sponsored by Pine Bluff Downtown Development, an organization that aims to renew downtown. This new event series follows the model of a nationwide initiative called the Better Block Project. Their first annual Pop Up in the Bluff was in 2017 and focused on Barraque, the street that runs in the would-be “first” street location; the Jefferson County courthouse sits on Barraque at Main Street. This year’s second annual Pop Up in the Bluff 2018 will focus on 2nd Street in the downtown area.
- Pop Up in the Bluff
- Pine Bluff Downtown Development
The Port City Blues Society
The Port City Blues Society promotes Blues music and the culture of Blues by supporting musicians and educating the public, among other things. Every Wednesday evening, they hold jam sessions with a variety of musicians participating.
- Port City Blues Society
- Hot Rods
201 South Main, Pine Bluff, AR 71601
William Jenkins and the Block Party on Main Street
Williams Jenkins is a community leader who looks for ways to strengthen Pine Bluff; he is one of those people who is quick to lend a helping hand without thinking twice about it. He has been giving block parties in the downtown area for years; and this is something the busy contractor does on the side, no less. Recently, Mr. Jenkins started a Stop the Violence campaign; among other things, he made that the theme of this year’s block party on September 29.